At major concerts the Brighton Orpheus Choir has often arranged for a collection to support local or national charities, to which the audience and choir members have given generously. We had a collection for Martlet’s Hospice at our Music for Christmas concert on 12th December 2015. And not only at formal concerts. Repeating an annual event for the past few years members of Brighton Orpheus Choir sang a wide range of Christmas carols beside the Christmas tree on Brighton Station during the evening of 16th December 2015 raising £496.90 in support of Shelter.
In previous years:
- 15 December 2014. £484 raised for Shelter at Brighton Station.
- With the help of volunteers a collection after the performance of Karl Jenkins’ The Peacemakers on 22 November 2014 raised £373.52 for Parkinson’s UK.
- 18 December 2013, £554.08 was collected for Shelter.
- A collection after the performance of Britten’s Saint Nicolas and other Christmas music on 5 December 2013 raised £183.59 for Alzheimer’s Society.
- 18 December 2012 the collection for Shelter totalled £326.65
- There was a collection for Chestnut Tree House after the performance of Mendelssohn’s St Paul on 24 November 2012, which raised £138.43.
- on 13 December 2011 the carol singing coincided with a major unfortunate disruption of train services for the evening. The collection for Shelter raised £239.40 from passengers waiting for news of their journeys.
- A collection after the performance of Rossini’s Petite Messe Solennelle on 26 November 2011 raised £413.30 for Martlett’s Hospice.
- During a cold winter evening on 15 December 2010 the collection s raised a generous £390.66 for Shelter
- A collection after the performance of Mendelssohn’s Elijah on 27 November 2010 raised £174.16 for Samaritans.
- On 16 December 2009, thanks to the many travellers who donated while waiting for delayed trains at Brighton Station, the collection for Shelter totalled £286.29
- The collection at the concert on 5 December 2009 was for Children in Need. The total donated was £520.70.
- In 2008 carol singing at Brighton Station raised £267.35 from passing travellers
- A collection for the Studio for Solace project in Rwanda was made on 10 December 2008 after a concert in Southover Church, Lewes. £330.86 was raised to go towards this project.
- A collection for the Royal National Lifeboat Institute was made at the concert on 6 December 2008, raising £312.52.